Periodeus module

Description

Periodeus (voting name: Every-N-days Tasks) is a Periodic Monitoring module. It substitutes previous "Everyday tasks" option and in many cases simplifies monitoring eliminating the need for creating a Goal and a monitor for it.

But it gives you even more to work with, as goal monitors don't throw notifications - and Periodeus does, has its own per-task and per-long Naggers and alarming limits, and supports separate sounds for each task and each log.

When all it's features are used it may become a Habit Maker - an effective one as it turned out during testing.

Periodeus can do something that cannot be achieved with regular reminders. With a regular reminding app you could set reminders at: 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm, etc. It would be just fine if you were able to do the exercises at exactly these times. But imagine after getting up you couldn't practice till 11:10am. Now you'd be most happy if you were reminded to practice at 1:10pm, 3:10pm, etc next.

If you use a regular reminding app you'll be notified at 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, etc as scheduled. If you use Periodeus you will be notified at 1:10pm, 3:10pm, etc - without any manual intervention.

And if you procrastinate you may hear your voice prompting you to exercise and see as part of the notification a message: "Last done 4d 20h ago. Do every 2h." which will provide even more motivation to finally do it.

Isn't that sweeet? :D

Turning on & off

The module can be controlled in:

Modules -> Community supported modules -> Level 2 -> Log Widget

To turn it on or off tap the slider on the right. It's free to use to everyone till the end of June 2016, after that requires a Level 2 subscription.

Configuration interfaces

If the module is turned on you may access the following interfaces:

1. Day plan > menu > Add periodic tasks - shows a list of all tasks configured before as everyday and later those you configure to be monitored by Periodeus. Tasks are sorted by how far off of their monitoring limit they are. It aids in decision making - the top task should most probably be taken care of first.

2. Edit task > Periodic task - the checkbox is used to turn the feature on/off. The gear icon to configure it - here you can see:

• A button for turning it on/off. Red color means it's off, green means it's on.

• A period of hours or days over which you want to do the task at least once

• Whether the time should be counted from the last task instance's start or end time. Eg: if you want to start a particular task at 6h intervals and not just do it 6h after the last one finished you'll check this checkbox. Otherwise if finishing the previous instance took an hour, you'll start the next instance after 7 hours in total.

• Checkboxes to configure whether Periodeus should notify you when the monitoring period has passed and the task was not done during it. Whether there should be always a separate notification for this task or notifications should be grouped when possible. On which days and during what hours should the notifications be thrown.

• Nagger: how often the alarm should be repeated until the task is done

3. Logs > long-press a log > Periodic monitoring - shows a similar configuration interface for "Counter" type logs. In case of tasks Periodeus monitors when they were last done. And in case of logs - when a positive number was last logged/recorded.

And for logs this dialog includes an option to record a notification sound (at the very bottom). Tasks already had this option.

Usage examples

Sore back never more (a tribute to McKenzie)

Scenario: my lower back hurts enough to make me want do McKenzie exercises every 2 hours, as recommended.

Configuration:

• Because one round of exercises takes 5-15m I'm creating a task "Practice McKenzie"

• I record a notification sound saying "Practice McKenzie or suffer" :D

• I check the checkbox and tap the gear icon next to the "Periodic task" option

• I configure it as follows: I want to perform this task every 2 hours. Enable notifications, always show a separate notification. Alarm only during Mon-Sun from 10am to 10pm. Repeat alarm every 15 minutes.

Now if I don't exercise for over 2 hours I'll hear "Practice McKenzie or suffer" which will remind me to do it and provide some motivation.

Drinking water regularly (a tribute to kidneys :D )

Scenario: I've got dehydrated once during a trek in mountains during hot weather, and the pain was killing, so decided to make a habit of regular water drinking. Not less frequently than 1 glass every 2 hours and at least 8 glasses a day.

Configuration:

• Because drinking a glass of water takes almost no time I'm creating a log "Glasses of water drunk", choose "Counter" type and set success to 8 or more glasses a day.

• I long-press the log and tap "Periodic monitoring"

• I tap the first button to turn it green/ON

• I configure it as follows: I want to log a new value every 2h. Enable notifications, always show a separate notification. Alarm only during Mon-Sun from 10am-8pm. Repeat alarm every 30m.

• I record a notification sound "Have mercy for your kidneys!"
  • I add a log widget to my Home Screen to make it easier to log each glass without opening the app.
Now if I don't tap "+" on the widget for over 2 hours I'll hear "Have mercy for your kidneys" and see "Last logged 3h 5m ago. Log every 2h".

Sore neck never more (a tribute to screen addicts)

Scenario: my lower back is fine now, so I also want to get rid of the neck pain caused by excessive time spent in front of my computer and mobile with my head not kept straight.

Configuration:

• I don't have any exercises for this yet, I just want to make a habit of remembering to keep the head straight. I'll solve it with a log and its widget.

• I create a log "I remembered to keep my head stright", choose "Counter" type and set success to 4 or more times a day.

• I long-press the log and tap "Periodic monitoring"

• I tap the first button to turn it green/ON

• I configure it as follows: I want to log a new value every 1h. Enable notifications, always show a separate notification. Alarm only during Mon-Sun from 10am-4pm. Repeat alarm every 5m.

• I record a notification sound saying "Keep your head straight"

• I add a log widget to my Home Screen to make it easier to log each glass without opening the app.
Now whenever I straighten my head up without any reminder I'll tap "+" on the widget. If I don't do it for over 1 hour I'll hear "Keep your head straight". At the beginning I hear it every 5 minutes and it's damn annoying. After some time I really start remembering to keep my head straight and my pain decreases and disappears. I hear the reminder very rarely now and I reconfigure Periodeus to check every 3 hours and remind every 15 minutes as I've managed to made a habit by now.

Final notes

This is not a substitute for Reminders as it's not that precise. Not in every case at least. That's because it tries hard to keep the system load to a minimum when it comes to performing its checks and computations. Some compromises must be made and some accuracy sacrificed. So if you need to take a pill at exactly 12pm, 8pm, etc - use an alarm clock or another app specializing in setting up reminders. AND vote for the Reminders module :D

Also note that the module doesn't support Parallel Tasks yet. We plan on adding this support in the future but at this stage we're not able to say when it will be implemented.

Comments

• cxp4cxp4 Member, Moderator
    Thanks. Let's put this to work!
    Bug report: recording an alarm with my own voice does not work: none of the recorder interface buttons have an effect. Tried a different audio format with no success. Same bug when trying to record an alarm for a task.
  • AdamAdam Developer