Split in the middle doubles parallel tasks

As far as I am aware, this is a new behaviour in r5.2.6
I started with a task A, that takes 2 hours. I added parallel tasks B (30 min) and C (15 min) to it.
After 1,5 hours of task A, I decided to split it with a task D (5 min), start time "now".
As a result, the task A is split, and both parts of the splitted task A have parallel tasks B (30 min) and C (15 min), (instead of just the first part) making their day totals double of the actual values.
Tagged:

Comments

• AdamAdam Developer
    Thanks, I'll check it and correct today.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    I actually have to think about it a bit more. As for instance when I add a Parallel Task and choose "Match main task's duration" it makes sense to leave this task as parallel in both parts of the task being split. Maybe I'll add an additional option to include PT or not in the Split dialog..
  • PascalPascal Moderator
    You're right, in that case the parallel tasks should be split. In that case, the total time of the parallel tasks will remain the same as before the split (=not doubled).
    Theoretically, you could add the same behaviour to parallel tasks that do not match duration and split them in two. But that means that their time is litterally split in 2 (instead of doubled). But this makes things more complex, I guess, and keeping the parallel tasks with the first half seems logical to me from a user's perspective.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Splitting in two would preserve the time, but occurrences can also be monitored, and they would double.

A PT could also be set to last a bit longer than the first part, then the remaining time could be moved to the second part (with occurrences doubled again).

And there's the third group - shorter than the first part... Doesn't matter where they are now, but may matter when support for PT is added to Periodeus.

I'm still thinking how to approach it without overcomplicating things...
  • PascalPascal Moderator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 77
    To be it seems strange that I only encoutered this now, that's why I think it has worked before? In my memory it seems that before, the PT was kept with the first part only (= assuming that the PT length <= the first task part).

The fact that occurances would double in case the PT > the first part seems correct behaviour to me.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    "In the middle" option is quite new. But I also introduced many changes around it recently, so it's possible that it behaved differently before...
  • PascalPascal Moderator
    haha, right. I have been using the "In the middle" option so extensively that I forgot that it is a recent addition.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Yeah, I like it a lot too :D