Issue with Searching

Hello hello,
I've been using goalist for over a year, but recently got the samsung s8 and have had some issues. I downloaded goalist to the phone, deleted the stock tasks and hid the stock categories, then added my own categories and tasks (just like on my old phone). Now, though, when i search to add a task for my day, the only ones it retrieves are the ones that no longer exist -- not the ones I added. I've restarted the app, reinstalled the app, and restarted my phone to no avail. Any ideas? Browse and select is kind of a pain compared to searching...

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• AdamAdam Developer
    Hi Sarah - welcome to the forum and thank you for reporting the problem. Sorry for this problem, I'll look into it. It definitely is a pain... It's an Android 7 though, there could be some changes to the database software that's built into the system. And here I'll have a problem as I have no access to such new system. Still have Android 4.x which is a major obstacle in fixing this kind of problems. But I'll do my best to find one to check it out.

If I can't find one - is your phone rooted and would you be willing to enable debugging messages on it for a while and send them to me by email? It explains the problem right away in 95% of cases.

So you didn't move your data using Backup & Restore, is that correct? If you could give me some detail on how the move to the new phone looked like it would be very helpful too.

I should also be able to publish a new version soon with several changes to the search. Maybe they will accidentally include a fix for this problem too. New search is even better as it takes into account the frequency of performing every task, so the most used tasks appear at the top. Typing just the space bar shows the most frequently used tasks which is very useful too. Although unfortunately it's all tested on Android 4.x only...

In the meantime you could try to switch to the second search type in Settings > Search type (at the very bottom). The search data is refreshed after any task name is edited, new one added or some deleted. However if anything goes wrong the old data is retained. Which seems what's happening in this case.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    edited May 2017 Posts: 0
    Actually I'll do an "emergency" release now, let's see if it helps. I need about an hour for that and then Google needs up to several hours to update Play - before the new version is ready for installation. If you could also let me know after upgrading if there is any change I'd be grateful.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    The new version will be 5.3.1
  • sarahksarahk Member
    Awesome, thanks for the quick response. I'll keep an eye out for the update.

As far as moving to the new phone, I didn't backup and restore (since I also happen to be changing what categories and tasks I need for life), but started from the standard installed version and manually edited it from scratch like the very first time. It still picked up on my old subscription status, though.
  • sarahksarahk Member
    Also, phone is not rooted.
  • WKDWKD Member
    Hi Adam
    Seemed to be having similar problems as sarahk since upgrading to android7 it wasn't finding any tasks in the search (with either option in the search settings and even after upgrading to the latest published version). However with what you said about the search data being refreshed above i just renamed one of my tasks and that seems to have fixed it...
    But i can send debugging data by email if you still need one from an adroid 7 phone.. In developer options ive got an option to take bug report and then an option for an interactive report or a full report, i'm guessing it's one of these?
    Thanks
    Waheed
  • AdamAdam Developer
    edited May 2017 Posts: 0
    Yeah, that would be helpful, thank you. But search would have to be still broken on your phone.. If you notice that your search suggestions are not up-to-date again then let me know and I'll send you instructions on obtaining the logs (they need to be turned on in Goalist first with a special code).
  • hjudsonhjudson Member
    Hi Adam, I'm having the same problem searching. Using Android 6 not rooted.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Did the problem start after moving to Android 6 from an older system? Did you try renaming a task?
  • AdamAdam Developer
    I'm adding an option to force Search Data re-creation, should be ready by tomorrow.

I'll also try to exclude Search Data from backups. That way it will always be recreated when moving to another phone and restoring from backup. And the backup files will be slightly smaller..
  • hjudsonhjudson Member
    I've been using Goalist with Android 6 for about a year now with no problems. Last evening, I updated to the latest version of Goalist and immediately encountered the same searching problem described by the OP.

Problem persisted for several hours, then I went to bed. Upon getting up this morning, I read your suggestion and renamed one task. Search works fine now!

I do wish I had opened Goalist and searched before renaming the task, just to see whether that affected the app. Okay, now I feel silly.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Oh, if anything it's only the software that's silly here. But your report was useful anyway. It resulted in improvement to the upgrading and restoring logic - search data will now be recreated during these processes. And there will be an option to force this data refreshment manually.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Publishing version 5.3.2 with the new features. "Refresh search data" option is located at the very bottom of the Settings screen. Use it if the problem appears again. But if it appears too often please let me know, I'll make more adjustments.
  • AlliAlli Member
    Hi. I had the problem that search had stopped working in 5.3.1 and initially in 5.3.2. I hadn't used Goalist for some weeks so I'm not sure when it happened. However using the 'refresh search data' option has solved the problem. Many thanks.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Great, thanks for letting me know!