Goalist crashes with new update

Hi, the new version of Goalist (looks like it was released today) crashes on startup repeatedly for me on my Android tablet (Galaxy Tab A 8 with Android 8.1.0. The previous version was working fine!

Comments

• WKDWKD Member
    Just to let you know the update seems to be working on android 8.0.0. Previously since upgrading to android 8 even though everything except the notifications worked was getting a 'goalist has crashed' message, which seems to have stopped after the update. However unfortunately still don't seem to get any notifications... even though they are 'allowed' and goalist is running in background - sorry.
    Update looks good and can't wait to try the new reminders module
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Thank you guys for reporting this. I've only had access to v8 briefly during Christmas and all worked on this particular, it seems, version 8... Here's a link to the previous version for anyone wanting to downgrade:

Goalist last 5.x.x release

Of course please make a backup before uninstalling the current app, otherwise Android will delete your data during uninstallation. And keep the auto-backups on.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Guys - I found something that may save the day. Just publishing version 6.0.2. If you could give it a try and let me know if it's any better I would be very grateful, as it's probably the only feedback I'll get. Thank you in advance!

• WKDWKD Member
    Yay updated and got notification as soon as the update installed :) To test further created a test reminder on the new module closed goalist and locked phone and still got notification for it on time specified. Hope it all works for everyrichrole on 8.1 too. Thank you so much!
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Cool! Thank you very much for letting me know.
  • everyrichroleeveryrichrole Member
    Hey! I can open it up now! Thanks for the quick turn around, Adam!
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Awesome!
  • esculopeesculope Member
    Hi Adam, about the notifications, yes I got the notifications too as soon as I update, but that's all, now there is a permanent notification on the bar and it will not make any sound any more. When I force close the app and open again notification pop up and makes noise but that will be all. Turned off the flash led light cause it blinks every time I close the screen or just randomly in 20-30 seconds. Hope you can find time to work on that soon, thank you in advance.

Ps: Even though I turned the notifications off on app settings, they don't show any effect, even notification sound is what my default sound is, doesn't take affect when I change it in in-app in HTC 10 Android 8.0.0
    Screenshot_20190108-000245.png
    1440 x 2560 - 174K
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Oh, this is a Persistent Notification. Goalist now needs to use it because of the changes in Android. Otherwise, it would not be able to run its auxiliary monitoring process. And this process takes care of many things, so it's needed.

This particular notification should pop up a window only when the service starts. If you don't forcibly stop the app the service keeps running and shouldn't show any notification popups anymore.

I could add an option to not start this process (thus not show the Persistent Notification), but if you wanted to use it, it would probably mean that.. maybe you don't really need Goalist? If you describe how you use the app I may understand in which case the service is not needed.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    I found the setting responsible for the blinking light, will disable it.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    And I think I'll be able to disable the sound for this notification too.
    You might got me wrong there, I don't have a problem with persistent notifications, it just that it doesn't make any sound when a new task starts or ends, so I don't get information about my plan when the screen is off
    And pop ups are good too for lazy people like me
  • AdamAdam Developer
    I'm sorry, I indeed misunderstood. So you have a daily plan and when the time for the next task comes there's no notification?

Let's make sure that:
    1) Notifications are enabled in settings
    2) Notification sounds are enabled in settings
    3) Next task on the plan has alarm enabled
    4) Text-to-speech module is turned off in Modules
    5) Notifications are not muted (Schedule > menu > Mute)

Then please describe what exactly happens when the time comes - does anything show in the notification panel? Nothing at all? Or just a notification without any sound?

We'll turn off TTS for now to make sure it's not the source of the problem. As it often is.. I made some improvements to it in version 6.0.4 but I'm not ready to publish it yet.

It's alright, thanks for the quick response actually. Notifications are enabled. Their sounds are enabled. I have default alarm for every task and checked just in case. I'm level 2 so TTS is turned off. Notifications are not muted.

When a task ends there is just persistent notifications up there as always and random led flashing(not sure when the led triggers), but no sound. Actually before when I said I force closed the app and opened again, I tested for when the notifications make a noise. Also I turned the notifications in the goalist app and tried again after force closing then opening again, the persistent notification was still there with my default notification sound, not the one I chose in goalist, of course sound was one time only again (I tried various notification sounds in goalist while notifications are turned on this time and force close-open but still no luck)

I really like the app between and thanks for the hard work. Hope this helps.

• AdamAdam Developer
    OK, thank you, I'm looking into it. Will let you know when I find something.
  • San1San1 Member
    Hello,
    After I updated, I was having a problem turning off the notifications. I always have them off. I disabled all my notifications and I was still getting them. I went ahead & uninstalled/reinstalled app & still no luck. Finally I pressed on the notification reminder and and it took me to the android app settings. I was able to turn it off that way. To turn back on then I'll just have to go to my Android settings/apps/ALL/Goalist (check) Show notifications. Hopefully when I upgrade to android 8 & no later version than 8. I won't have to do this.
    QuickMemo+_2019-01-12-20-20-36.png
    1078 x 1775 - 184K
    QuickMemo+_2019-01-12-20-23-29.png
    1080 x 1776 - 428K
    QuickMemo+_2019-01-12-20-24-03.png
    1080 x 1776 - 420K
    QuickMemo+_2019-01-12-20-27-15.png
    1080 x 1776 - 128K
  • AdamAdam Developer
    The notification on the screenshot is a special one - it's a Persistent Notification now required by Android in order to be able to run a service. And the service is needed by Goalist not only for notifications but for multiple background maintenance tasks. If the notification is not shown within the first 5 seconds after starting the service the app is killed by the system.

If you wouldn't mind sharing how you use Goalist I'd be grateful. It may help me understand when the notifications, and maybe even the service, are not needed.

And here I am, in depression cause I can't get notifications while other people don't even want them...
  • AdamAdam Developer
    :D

I'm still looking. Have an idea to eliminate some possible setting problem. If you wouldn't mind trying it:
    1) make a backup of your data
    2) uninstall Goalist
    3) install it again
    4) don't load your data yet or change any setting, just add "Monday" task set (it's installed by default in English versions)
    5) wait some time to see if you get any notification. Observe if anything appears - a popup, an entry in the notification panel without sound, a sound without an entry in the panel... I think waiting 15 minutes is the maximum time needed.
    6) load your data from backup

Thank you!

• San1San1 Member
    edited January 15 Posts: 0
    If you wouldn't mind sharing how you use Goalist I'd be grateful. It may help me understand when the notifications, and maybe even the service, are not needed.

Hi!

So I use Goalist for everything except journaling/diary. I schedule, I log things & more importantly I use it to manage my time better. Goalist is definitely a productivity tool & much more! I first started timing myself to see how long it took me to accomplish my daily tasks. Then I started to adjust the default durations on each task. I used the statistics to see if my productivity is improving or where I'm spending most of my time at. I haven't used the notifications/alarms since last fall, I disabled them because I wanted to concentrate on other parts of the apps. Been experimenting with Goalist to make sure I master the app. It's definitely fun & addicting because you have so many options! I look at my Goalist schedule frequently! In actuality the notifications of the tasks make you more time conscious.
    So i began using it again as of yesterday.

I had the chance to mess with the notifications by enabling them. Here's what I got at the beginning. I was getting the two notification drawers "Current task" & "Time to start", except the "Time to start" notification drawer was not making noise/alarming & it didn't have the two buttons to increase the time. This was sometimes, not all the times. Other times it was normal. I went crazy checking my android settings and the app settings. Adjusted different things just in case. Created short tasks for faster notification results! Finally I decided to install and reinstall app and just use the default (everything) to see if it was working properly. I scheduled the "Monday" task set and shortened every task again for faster notification results. Everything was working good! I restored my data/backup and I started getting problems again. Went to the app settings/Notification sound Choose sound and pressed the "Reset to default" tested everything and still no luck. I went back to the app settings/Notification sound Choose sound and pressed System Notification sound & changed to another sound & it worked. Then tried System Ringtones(which pretty much took me to the same sounds) chose a different sound, triedSystem alarms (continuous), (took me to the same sounds) chose a different sound, and that worked too. Unless this is what you currently fixed then I feel dumb! LOL I reckon I just had to press any of those options, to get it to work? Similar thing happened when the time format changed to military when I did the new update. I adjusted the time format and it didn't change until i started messing with the time duration.

Almost forgot to mention that there's a 5 min-7 min lag/delay notification for each task. Even when your own time & press "MARK DONE" But everything else seems right.

Thanks!

#:-S :-S

• AdamAdam Developer
    Thank you very much!

The sound set shown by various options you tried depends on the phone, it seems. On phones I have access to they are always very different... If you are using Android 8 then maybe it means that sound representation changed there too :( I don't know and can't check it at the moment.

When changing phones and restoring data from backup the system sounds cannot be reliably matched to the new phone. I use only TTS and custom (self recorded) sounds, so don't have this problem. And I added multiple checks to detect missing system sounds, but apparently still not enough.

The lag is another annoying idea from google. They stubbornly mess with the alarm settings - looks to me like they love saving battery more than anything else, so they hate timely alarms because they wake the phone from energy saving state that the phone goes into when you turn off the screen.

They complicate and complicate things with every release to make sure alarms are NOT shown when the app wants, but when they think is appropriate. I fight with this all the time, but google knows better, so I'm not sure I'll ever manage to make them completely accurate...